Friday, July 29, 2011

HOW TO GET RID OF SQUIRRELS (i)




  • Posted by wobur 9 CA (My Page) on 
    Mon, Aug 14, 06 at 21:35

I use to have an avocado tree in my back yard and the squirrels would travel from the neighbor's walnut tree, where they had a nest, to my avocado. I finally bought one of those wooden snakes that are jointed and move in the wind. My son hung it with fishing line close to the telephone wires that they traveled on. They did cartoon stops and about faces and went right back to the walnuts. It was very funny! I think it worked in part because they had a specific route they followed...don't know how it would work otherwise, but might be worth a try. I am pretty sure the movement of the snake is important. The jointed wooden snakes are in toy or nature stores. Good luck!



RE: Squirels - how to get rid of them



I read somewhere a few years ago that the best way to keep squirrels from raiding your bird-feeder is to add cayenne pepper to the mix. the birds can't taste it but the squirrels hate it. maybe if you sprinkle your garden with it periodically might deter them. I don't know if a food source is what is attracting them but I'd think that if they got a little pepper in their eyes while digging they'd think twice. and as hard as it is to get the spice out of your mouth it may be a treatment that would last through a few waterings. Shouldn't be too expensive- worth a shot.




 
RE: Squirels - how to get rid of them






I can quarantee this method to rid yourself of pesky squirrels. We have been squirrel free for six weeks now.We have two trees which the squirrels entered the yard with. I took vaseline and made a ring around each tree as high up as i could reach. Then with gloves on i smeared in cayenne pepper from the grocery store making a vaseline pepper combination ring. Additionally to ensure the squirrels didnt follow up by using the fence rows from the neighbors tress, in strategic places i smeared the mixture on certain places along the fences surrounding my yard.
The only other thing i did was took moth balls and put them in some legs of panty hose and hung them in the corners of the fence rows. I used neutral colors so they did not stick out like a sore thumb. No one even notices them there.
I am not sure if the moth balls or the vaseline but either way we have been squirrel free and for the first time in five years we have gotten ripe tomatoes, radishes, peppers and onions out of our flower bed gardens with no animal bites taken out of them.
I have read several articles about killing the tree rats but i caution this method as others will just continue to move in, it will never stop.
good luck

No comments:

Post a Comment